Pets are family too!
My first Rottweiler Angel was my first beloved furbaby to exhibit food allergies and several health problems from a young age. Even feeding her a human grade, high quality kibble didn't seem to help. She had chronic ear problems, developed hip dysplasia early on, and eventually suffered from cancerous tumors. Her suffering was what motivated me to dedicate my time and energy to researching the cause and natural solutions to her health problems. Her son was fortunate enough to not inherit her hip problems, but he did suffer from chronic ear infections and skin problems. He also developed cancer when he was 9 years old, which I attribute to a genetic disposition.
Since moving from the East Coast to Colorado when he was 4, his skin conditions improved immensely but he continued to suffer from ear problems and food allergies. Shortly after our move I put him on a Raw Diet and soon his chronic issues subsided. Due to life changes and convenience, I eventually put him back on a high quality kibble and supplemented his meals with freeze dried raw toppings and raw bones, but when he started getting sick and natural remedies weren't helping I rushed him to the vet. I insisted on spending hundreds of dollars on testing to determine what was wrong, only to be told that his vitals looked "beautiful" and here's an expensive antibiotic to give him. When that didn't work, we ended up back at the vet a month later with an ugly mass now growing out of his stomach that needed to be covered with a T-shirt because it would weep and bleed incessantly.
Again I was told to give him another antibiotic to see if that would make the angry lump go away, and if that didn't work then we would proceed with a biopsy. I had already tried everything, including a natural antibiotic, but what did I know? So we did as the Doctor said, and a month later my poor boy went under the knife. When we finally received the diagnosis, we weren't given many options. We could spend thousands on Chemo, but that wouldn't guarantee any further longevity, or they had ONE pathetic "natural" supplement that we could try. That's when I took matters into my own hands.
This was Damian's Wellness Protocol for the type of cancer that he had:
- I immediately put him back on a 100% fully Raw Diet, as local and as organic as I could find. I eventually went with Steve's frozen raw food which you can find out more about here. There are other amazing brands that haven't been commercialized yet and are still committed to small batch, high quality ingredients but for time and content sake I won't go into detail here.
- I addressed his Candida which was manifesting through his chronic ear problems, Cancer feeds on Candida. I did this by removing all starches and carbohydrates, supplementing with raw Goats Milk (Answers and Primal brands) for probiotics, and adding other supplements to his food.
- To improve his quality of life, I chose not to give Damian a lot of capsules and tablets. I wanted him to resume a normal, happy life, so the supplements I chose were mostly liquid or tinctures and I mixed them in with his food. Here are the primary supplements I used to treat his cancer:
- Turmeric ACV tincture: Organic, powdered Turmeric diluted in Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with a dash of Black Pepper is an easy, cost effective remedy. Apple Cider Vinegar alkalizes the pH balance in the body, and from what I've read cancer cannot survive in an acidic environment. There has since been some debate over this, but I am here to attest to it's effectiveness. The main component of Turmeric is called Curcumin, this is the cancer fighting powerhouse that can only be absorbed by the body if it is extracted properly (cue the ACV). Black Pepper is added to make the Curcumin more bioavailable to the body so that it is assimilated thoroughly.
- Medicinal Mushrooms: Reishi, Shitake, Maitake, and Cordyceps mushrooms each have their own powerful anti-fungal and exceptional healing capabilities. Essentially, cancer is like a fungus with the way it spreads so these fungi come to the rescue by battling this disease in their own special ways. I found a compound tincture at my local health food store with as many of these mushrooms as possible.
- Antioxidants: antioxidants remove free radicals from the body, the major causes behind inflammation and disease. I increased his intake of antioxidants by adding a reconstituted base mix of freeze dried fruits and veggies (as well as fresh) to his meals. I also supplemented with NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine), a powerful amino acid that contributes to the production of Glutathione- a naturally occurring antioxidant that prevents damage to critical cellular components.
- Other Supplements included Immune boosting Herbal compounds, Paw Paw Cell-Reg by Nature's Sunshine to prevent abnormal cells from reproducing, and Essential Oils such as Frankincense applied directly on the site of the tumor.
I continued this protocol with his meals twice daily, with little change, for 6 months. I continued to feed him the Raw Goats Milk with Turmeric with his breakfast and also added Coconut Oil to his dinner everyday even after discontinuing the rest of his supplements. In addition to his diet, I also tried Acupuncture and treated him myself with Thai Massage and Acupressure to stimulate and clear the energetic pathways that were blocked. Damian will be 12 this Halloween and remains cancer free to this day.
As I watched his energy increase and his playfulness return, my baby boy literally transformed into a new dog. He began to play with his siblings again, and started becoming more vocal. Shortly before he got sick, I adopted a sweet little Rat Terrier girl and at first the new baby was not welcome by my only child. One day she was playing with another pup her size when they got too close to the old man, tangling him up in their whirlwind and he bit the (then 3 month old) baby in the face. Fortunately it was not worse, but the most serious injury was inside her mouth along her upper jaw. The pressure of the bite had caused her back teeth to separate from the roof of her mouth, and due to the location of the injury doctors could do very little for her. As her wound healed, the scar tissue started growing THROUGH her molar, causing the tooth to begin to rot. I thought we would have to get it pulled once it was healed, but one day I realized her breath smelled better and I looked inside her mouth. The tooth had disappeared and the scar was almost nonexistent! The problem had resolved itself, and I contribute that entirely to the Raw Diet.
There are so many more miraculous stories that surround this nutrient dense diet, but ultimately it is the right choice because not only does it provide fresher, healthier ingredients for your furdren, but it is also the closest thing to their ancestral, instinctual diet. If anything, my babies have clearer eyes, cleaner teeth, softer fur, and over all healthier everything. I highly encourage all pet parents to look into this option for their cats and dogs, you won't regret it. The only word of caution I have is that because you are handling raw proteins, it is imperative that you practice sanitary conditions. This means washing your pet's bowls more frequently, storing food properly, and washing your hands every time after feeding them. This may involve more effort on your part, but your best friend's wellbeing is worth it!